Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A good reason to get a new router

I've had the same router for the last few years. It's a Craftsman, and for most projects it's worked ok.

For this chair I need to cut very precise mortise & tenon joints. I will need to use a plunge router, so that rules this router out. The wood is very hard, the bit is a large 3/4", and I have to go about 1 1/2 inches in, so it will really push the routers abilities.

I looked at routers on line, and thought I was stuck paying around $200 for a Bosch or a DeWalt, BUT then I thought I'd see what Craftsman has to offer. Since it was a holiday, they offered a 2 HP, 1/4 + 1/2 inch bit size, standard router with an additional plunge base for only $80! Sweet deal. It gets good reviews online, and from the part numbers used, it's supposedly made for Sears by Porter Cable.


Sears No. 17543





I haven't even gotten to the best part. Is it the sawdust collection attachments? Nope. Is it the really crappy soft carrying bag it comes with? Nope. Is it the green light that glows telling you it's plugged in? Nope.

Take a look at this photo shot in the dark. Isn't that the coolest? Blue LED lights built in to the router. Now it's much easier to see all the mistakes right as you're making them.

It looks like it's going to lift off at any second!

No comments:

Post a Comment